University of Rijeka
Application Deadline: Expected in August 2022 (winter semester 2022/23); early application recommended
Term Start: Expected in October 2022
Tuition Fees: Medicine: 5,000 EUR/semester (6 years); Dentistry: 5,000 EUR/semester (6 years)
Information last updated: October 5th, 2021
The small but excellent international degree in medicine (taught in English) at the University of Rijeka has been hugely popular with international high school graduates since its inception in 2017, and as of 2020, it is also possible to study dentistry. Rijeka was the “2020 European Capital for Culture” and is located near Trieste and Venice on the Adriatic coast.
The Faculty of Medicine at the University of Rijeka is located in the picturesque old town and was founded in 1955. Over the last six decades, it has developed into one of the most highly reputable medical faculties in the Adriatic region, and in particular, many Italians also come to study here. Thanks to small tuition groups, students are supported individually and are also offered various sporting and social activities through the student unions. The beautiful Mediterranean and Central European environment contribute to the exhilarating daily student life.
The city of Rijeka is located on the Adriatic coast, a little more than an hour south of Venice and Trieste. The population of 120,000 make it the third largest city in Croatia. This former harbour and industrial city is situated in the “Kvarner Gulf”, an area full of islands. Rijeka offers numerous cultural and natural highlights, which attract many tourists. The university offers a free course in Croatian, which is compulsory in the first three years. Rijeka can be reached easily by car or by plane; Lufthansa operates daily flights to Venice and Trieste, while a number of charter budget airlines fly into Rijeka’s own airport.
MediStart is the university’s official partner and offers comprehensive opportunities to prepare for the admission process. Your average high school grade does not play a decisive role in the admission process. For dentistry, the university tests your manual dexterity. For medicine, the allocation of places depends on your score in the MediTest-EU, a test specially developed for European high school graduates, that MediStart provides optimal preparation for.
The MediTest-EU consists of a written test with questions on biology, chemistry and general knowledge (60%) and an interview on your motivation and skills (40%) and is generally held at various test centres in Germany or taken online. It is recommended to participate in the test before having completed high school.
Additionally, if you have not taken any lessons in biology/chemistry/physics or mathematics for at least two years within the last four years of school, it would be useful to attend the MediStart-Collegesemester in Hamburg, which is officially recognised as a pre-med course for the degree. Your MediStart study consultant will be happy to advise you on the individual requirements and possibilities.
We offer optimal preparation (also available online) ahead of the MediTest-EU through individual coaching, so you can obtain a study place starting in 2022.
MediStart accompanies you from the start and ensures a frictionless application process so that your international degree can be enjoyable and successful.
Request our free information material now: Click here!
- Successful: we achieved an almost 100% success rate in the past, e.g., in Hamburg, Nicosia, Wroclaw, Rzeszow, and Vilnius
- Professional: support during the application phase and during your studies
- Considering more than just high school grades: admission tests and preparation courses that do not require top grades
- Provides options in Germany: medical studies can also be started at the UMCH in Hamburg
- Easy: organised application of all necessary documents
- Fair Remuneration: success fee only paid if you are admitted
- MediStart-Collegesemester: in Hamburg (Germany) on-site and worldwide online as preparation for your medical degree at any of our partner universities
- Comprehensive: on-site planning and organisation services (support in finding accommodation, international network
of students, etc.)
- On-Site: support and supervision of your studies
- High Quality: supported by German lawyers specialised in German and European Education Law
- Early Admission: admissions for some universities for 2022 are already possible