Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technology
expected in July 2021 (winter semester 2021/22)
expected in September 2021
veterinary medicine: 3,500 EUR/semester (6 years)
Information last updated: December 3rd, 2020
The Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technologies prides itself on its huge popularity with international students. Every year more and more international students, e. g. from Sweden and England, decide to study here. The fact that the university considers more than your final high school grades is only one of many reasons to choose Jelgava. The degree corresponds to the Bologna Process and is recognised by all EU countries. The contents of the course were established in cooperation with EAEVE (European Association of Establishments for Veterinary Education). The degree is taught entirely in English and is divided into three blocks. Overall, the degree in veterinary medicine lasts six years.
The University of Jelgava was founded in 1775 as the Academia Petrina. It has existed in its current form for almost 80 years. Thanks to its Faculties of Veterinary Medicine, Forestry, Business, Agriculture and Engineering, it is the only institution for veterinary medicine in Latvia. Around 7,000 students study at the university. 300 professors and researchers are employed there. The modern library is connected to an excellent information centre. Modern laboratories and medical facilities make the University of Jelgava a centre for innovation and research. For the last 80 years the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine has specialised in diagnosis, treatment and prevention. It is made up of various departments, animal clinics (e. g. for small pets, horses and farm animals), research centres, research laboratories and an institute for pathology. Furthermore, the faculty works closely with various pharmaceutical companies as well as with the food industry.
Jelgava is a university characterized by the German-Baltic culture and is only approximately 40km from Latvia’s capital, Riga. It is one of the most beautiful cities in Latvia, a country which is a member of the European Union and NATO. The old castle of the Dukes of Courland, built in 1266 on an island on the river, was replaced by a palace in 1772. In fact, it is within the halls of this palace that the university of Jelgava has its headquarters today. The city is well connected with the world through the nearby Riga airport. In Jelgava you can easily communicate in English, as many Latvians speak good English. For international students, there are also several good residences with low rental costs. In any case, the cost of living is much cheaper than in other European countries. The leisure opportunities are also very versatile: sail on the Baltic sea or go for a jog through the city. Explore the golf courses, riding clubs or university sporting clubs. Culturally, the city shows its musical side through many festivals – jazz, classical, or modern dance. Even students who want to take their pet, be it a dog, cat or a horse, are welcome to do so in Jelgava.
The university awards its study places based upon either the results of the entrance exam, or upon the results of the MediTest-EU. It is appealing for international students to obtain a place of study at this top university that does not only focus on your high school grades or science education. It is also possible to participate in the MediTest-EU in various cities and countries and online. MediStart will help you throughout the entire application process and prepare you for the entrance exam. The study place allocation is followed by an introductory phase at the university that will familiarize you with the campus and the city.
Request our free information material now: Click here!
- successful: partly a 100 % success rate in the past, e. g. in Hamburg, Nicosia, Wroclaw, Rzeszow, and Vilnius
- professional: support during the application phase, at the beginning of your studies and during your studies
- considering more than grades: admission tests and pre-med courses take into account more than just your high school grades
- provides options in Germany: medical studies can also be started at the UMCH in Hamburg
- easy: organised application of all necessary documents
- fair remuneration: pay our full success fee in case of an admission
- Collegesemester: in Hamburg (Germany)
- comprehensive: on site planning and organisation services (support in finding accommodation, international network of students etc.)
- on site: support and supervision of your studies
- high quality: supported by German lawyers specialised in German and European Education Law
- early admission: admissions for some universities for 2021 already possible